In the summer of 2006 I asked a buddy of mine to come and teach at the upcoming fall retreat for the call (the name the young adults, over which I pastored for 8+ years, gave themselves to reflect who they desired to be; people walking worthy of the calling c.f. Ephesians 4:1-6). While I can not remember the specifics of the messages he brought that year, I will never forget the theme and the impact it has had on my life everyday since. After agreeing to speak, my friend forwarded a picture to me (below) with the theme of his teaching in the form of a simple question, an invitation if you will, about ones’ philosophy of commitment in life. I was stirred by his invitation because although it was not new to me, it did reflect the single most significant question I have ever been asked or ask of others; Are you all in?
I see great beauty and danger in the picture; adventure, risk, color, life, strength, movement, stillness, unknown… Questions arise; How deep is the water, how high is the cliff? What risk is involved, how big is the rush? Do I look that good in a swimsuit? Would I jump? Am I all in?
It was summer in
I have been “all in” now for many years. And, there are new proving grounds that I am faced with every day; greater heights from which to hurl myself, unknown waters to enter and treacherous journeys to navigate. I wish I could say that I never take time to climb to the bottom and cling to the “pipes” of life that make me feel secure until fatigue demands I succumb to the truth of glory. I wish I could say that there is never any part of my heart that seems to flee me for the apparent safety of yesterstep. I wish I could say that I always experience the freedom of flight and the exhilaration of risk without hesitation, but I can’t.
I am about to jump again… Is there risk? Absolutely! Will I die? Not today! Am I watched by spectators who will each have vantage points that affect how they perceive my bound? Certainly! But I have jumped before and lived. I have tasted success and glory. I have experienced life and loved it. Truly God is relentless in His kindness to me. Geronimo!!!
All in with you babe.
ReplyDeleteAll in.
Love it! Great post! Superbly written! Great journey. Growing up I always made my little brother (Sean) jump first...just to see if the jump was survivable! Sean, being the more courageous of us, never hesitated to comply with my safety tests! Like you, I want to be all in and have to vigilantly check my frequent and relentless desire to cling to those pipes of life! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteI loved this. But by far my favorite part was hearing where the story was yours, where the story rang true in the deepest parts of who you are. what an phenomenal snapshot into an extravagant story. love you.
ReplyDeleteFunny timing...I was wearing "the shirt" from this retreat the other day and I realized how much you have encouraged me to jump. This was a phenomenal piece of writing and call to MORE. Geronimo my friend! I am anxiously awaking your next leap!
ReplyDeleteI love you Daddy. :) Thanks you for always showing me how to be all in, and for encouraging me to be in all the way.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this, Mark. I was feeling settled with my own insights on this question, then you had to mess it up.:-) Not sure if this is appropriate, but you can see what you stirred at dolittlesthoughts.blogspot.com.
ReplyDeleteAll in... hmmm, you allll-in, sure, well, ok... yep I will agree with that. AND, when you are "all in" diving in to a pool of poop - you splash crap on me oh master of the cannonball. I would say it is worth it though - I love you in both places.
ReplyDelete